The Third Degree is a case featured in Criminal Case as the twenty-fifth case of Supernatural Investigations (Season 7) and the three-hundred forty-seventh case overall. It is the final one to take place in the East.
After Chief Arrow informed FBI Agent George Mathison of Theresa Rosenthal's death in the FBI headquarters, George accompanied the player in investigating her death. The team then headed to the FBI interrogation room, where they found Theresa's body with a bullet wound to the head.
Mid-investigation, the team found Theresa's home address in Virginia and investigated there. They then met her ghost, whose memory was too hazy to remember any details about her death. However, Theresa's ghost later revealed to them that she was interrogated by a demon who drove her to suicide. The team then found enough evidence to uncover FBI consultant Reggie Pratt as the demon who killed Theresa.
Gwen and the player confronted Reggie, who admitted that he drove Theresa to suicide by digging through her memories for any information regarding Rathimael and the fifth key to the demon queen's cage. He then revealed himself to be the demon that infiltrated Gwen's mind throughout the Midwest. He then told the team that they already knew about the fifth key before teleporting away.
Post-confrontation, the team convened with Arthur Darkwood. Luke and the player then headed to Theresa's house for information on the baby serving as the fifth key, where they found a picture of Rathimael under the guise of Bob Nelson along with the baby. The team then gave the picture to Ben, who said that it would take some time for him to find out the identity of the baby with the help of a program on Hope's computer.
Meanwhile, FBI consultant Bucky Johnson presented to Gwen and the player a recording of a demon that he had taken in FBI HQ. After telling Agent Johnson to keep quiet regarding the demon, the team found the recording of Reggie Pratt saying that "the queen's faithful have the final key", proving that the demons had gotten their hands on the fifth key.
After all the events, Ben told the team that the fifth key was Hope herself, meaning that the demons had Hope. Arthur then told the team that they still had a fighting chance as Rathimael placed the cage in an alternate dimension that had forces waxing and waning periodically, allowing the cage to be strong and weak at different times, and so the demons would wait until the cage was weak to free the queen. Arthur, Chief Arrow, and the player then went to Theresa's house and found the jumper artifact that would transport Chief Arrow and the player to the alternate dimension. The three transported to the dimension and saw Reggie carrying Hope to the cage. After the demon queen's cage was unlocked, a freed Lily Arrow greeted her husband, much to Chief Arrow's surprise.
- Theresa Rosenthal (shot herself in the head)
- Reggie Pratt
- The killer has access to experimental truth serum.
- The killer eats fiddlehead ferns.
- The killer rides a bicycle.
- The killer has blond hair.
- The killer is O-.
- Investigate Interrogation Room. (Clues: FBI Mug, Gun, Victim's Body; Murder Weapon registered: Gun; Victim identified: Theresa Rosenthal)
- Examine FBI Mug. (Result: Balthazar's Mug; New Suspect: Balthazar Torres)
- Ask Balthazar Torres about his interrogation of the victim. (Prerequisite: Balthazar decoded; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Control Room)
- Investigate Control Room. (Prerequisite: Balthazar interrogated; Clues: Baseball Cap, Wallet)
- Examine Baseball Cap. (Result: Paranormal Division; New Suspect: Bucky Johnson)
- Question Bucky Johnson about what he saw during the interrogation. (Prerequisite: Paranormal Division identified)
- Examine Wallet. (Result: Driver's License; New Suspect: Reggie Pratt)
- See what Reggie Pratt was doing in the control room. (Prerequisite: Driver's License found)
- Examine Gun. (Result: Fingerprints on Gun)
- Analyze Fingerprints on Gun. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer eats fiddlehead ferns)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer has access to experimental truth serum)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Investigate Victim's Driveway. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Glass Cutter, Broken Clay)
- Examine Glass Cutter. (Result: Blue Flakes)
- Analyze Blue Flakes. (12:00:00)
- Confront Reggie Pratt about his attempt to break into the victim's house. (Prerequisite: Blue Flakes analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Observation Deck; Profile updated: Reggie has access to experimental truth serum and eats fiddlehead ferns)
- Investigate Observation Deck. (Prerequisite: Reggie interrogated; Clues: Faded Paper, Security Camera, Victim's Sweater)
- Examine Faded Paper. (Result: Psychological Evaluation)
- Analyze Psychological Evaluation. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer rides a bicycle)
- Examine Security Camera. (Result: Unlocked Camera)
- Confront Bucky Johnson about deleting files from the security camera. (Prerequisite: Security Camera unlocked; Profile updated: Bucky has access to experimental truth serum)
- Examine Victim's Sweater. (Result: Powder)
- Examine Powder. (Result: Seasoning Mix; New Suspect: Dolores Harper)
- Ask Dolores Harper what she is doing at FBI HQ. (Prerequisite: Seasoning Mix identified under microscope; Profile updated: Dolores has access to experimental truth serum)
- Examine Broken Clay. (Result: Clay Ashtray; New Suspect: Theresa Rosenthal)
- Ask Theresa's ghost about her death. (Prerequisite: Clay Ashtray restored)
- Go to Chapter 3. (2 stars)
- See what Theresa's ghost remembers about her last moments. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Victim's Pickup)
- Investigate Victim's Pickup. (Prerequisite: Theresa interrogated; Clues: Locked Cannister, Torn Letters)
- Examine Locked Cannister. (Result: CD Box)
- Analyze CD Box. (09:00:00)
- Interrogate Balthazar Torres about his history of threatening suspects. (Prerequisite: CD Box analyzed; Profiles updated: Balthazar has access to experimental truth serum, eats fiddlehead ferns and rides a bicycle, Bucky rides a bicycle)
- Examine Torn Letters. (Result: Stack of Letters)
- Examine Stack of Letters. (Result: Letter from Dolores)
- Question Dolores Harper about her correspondence with the victim. (Prerequisite: Letter from Dolores unraveled; Profiles updated: Dolores eats fiddlehead ferns and rides a bicycle, Reggie rides a bicycle)
- Investigate Interrogation Table. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Truth Serum Bottle, Evidence Box)
- Examine Truth Serum Bottle. (Result: Oily Substance)
- Analyze Oily Substance. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has blond hair)
- Examine Evidence Box. (Result: Bullet Casing)
- Analyze Bullet Casing. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer is O-)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to The Keys to the Kingdom (5/5). (No stars)
The Keys to the Kingdom (5/5)
- Strategize with Arthur Darkwood about finding the fifth key. (Available after unlocking The Keys to the Kingdom; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Victim's Driveway. (Prerequisite: Arthur interrogated; Clue: Photo Album)
- Examine Photo Album. (Result: Photo of Man & Baby)
- Analyze Photo of Man & Baby. (09:00:00)
- See what Bucky Johnson wants to tell us. (Prerequisite: Arthur interrogated; Reward: FBI Suit)
- Investigate Control Room. (Prerequisite: Bucky interrogated; Clue: Paranormal Tape Recorder)
- Examine Paranormal Tape Recorder. (Result: Voice Recording)
- Analyze Voice Recording. (06:00:00)
- Tell Chief Arrow the demons have Hope. (All tasks before must be done first; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Victim's Pickup. (Prerequisite: Chief Arrow interrogated; Clue: Torn Pieces)
- Examine Torn Pieces. (Result: Portal-Jumping Boot)
- Move on to a new crime (in South)! (1 star)
- The case title is based on an interrogation method of the same name.
- Two references are shown from the Harry Potter series in the case:
- The truth serum mentioned in the case, Veritainium, is a reference to Veritaserum, a truth potion.
- The jumper artifact in The Keys to the Kingdom is a reference to a Portkey, a random object that can be enchanted to teleport people at a given time.
- Although Mathison is the player's partner during the investigation, Gwen is the one who appears in the player's teammate selection screen when they investigate a crime scene in this case.
- MagiCard is a parody of MasterCard.
- In the "Victim's Driveway" crime scene, a statue of The Birth of Venus can be seen.