The Show Must Go On is a case featured in Criminal Case as the sixth case of City of Romance (Season 8) and the three-hundred fifty-eighth case overall. It is the first one to take place in the Attraction district of Paris.
Given that Carrie was still reeling from meeting her long-lost brother Cody and that it was Hugo's day off, High Commissioner Delacroix opted to join the player in their investigation. The duo headed to the Popotin Rouge at Montmartre to investigate an alleged animal smuggling ring, only to find the head cabaret dancer, Sabine Diamant, crushed by a boa constrictor in a water-filled snake tank.
Mid-investigation, the snake wrapped around High Commissioner Delacroix, but he was luckily rescued by animal handler Rémi Roy. Later, the team had to stop the owner of the Popotin Rouge, Jacques Lelarge, from holding a show and compromising the crime scene. The team then found enough evidence to incriminate Lelarge himself in the murder.
Lelarge said that he was being blackmailed by Sabine to give her a raise or that she would leave the cabaret, which would make him lose customers. He agreed to her terms in hopes of mollifying her, but he then caught wind of her plan to use the money to eventually establish her own cabaret with the Popotin Rouge's dancers. To prevent the loss of 40 years of maintenance of the Popotin Rouge, Lelarge pushed her by surprise into the snake tank while she was rehearsing her opening act. Judge Lebrun sentenced him to 40 years in prison.
Post-trial, after briefly interrogating Rémi, High Commissioner Delacroix and the player found a safe in the cabaret containing ledgers with Lelarge's fingerprints, possibly linking the cabaret to animal smuggling. While being interrogated, Lelarge blurted out that Sabine may have been involved, prompting the team to search her room. There, they found an animal smuggling crate with the address "81 rue Cortot" placed on it.
Meanwhile, Carrie and the player talked to Eleonora Macaron, who explained that her boyfriend, Cody, only recently felt safe to contact Carrie because Antoine Macaron had him followed after they first inquired about him. Afterwards, they made plans for the three of them to watch a Popotin Rouge show together, crafting a disguise for Cody so he could be hidden from Antoine.
After all the events, the team confirmed that the crate in Sabine's room was used to illegally transport a baby cheetah. High Commissioner Delacroix then instructed the team to investigate the apartment where the crate was addressed to once the search warrant would come through in the morning.
- Sabine Diamant (crushed to death by a Boa Constrictor)
- Boa Constrictor
- Jacques Lelarge
- The killer has a cough.
- The killer drinks absinthe.
- The killer writes poetry.
- The killer wears silver sequins.
- The killer is male.
- Investigate Snake Tank. (Clues: Top Hat, Victim's Body; Victim identified: Sabine Diamant; New Suspect: Rémi Roy)
- Examine Top Hat. (New Suspect: Jacques Lelarge)
- Inform Jacques Lelarge of the victim's death. (Prerequisite: Name on Hat decoded)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Boa Constrictor; Attribute: The killer has a cough)
- Question Rémi Roy about the murder. (Prerequisite: Snake Tank investigated; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Victim's Room)
- Investigate Victim's Room. (Prerequisite: Rémi interrogated; Clues: Broken Photo Frame, Locked Box, Drawer)
- Examine Broken Photo Frame. (Result: Victim and Friend [Mysterious Girl])
- Examine Mysterious Girl. (New Suspect: Ava de Paradis)
- Interrogate Ava de Paradis about her relationship to the victim. (Prerequisite: Ava de Paradis identified)
- Examine Locked Box. (Result: Champagne Box; New Suspect: Eleonora Macaron)
- Ask Eleonora Macaron how she knew the victim. (Prerequisite: Champagne Box decrypted)
- Examine Drawer. (Result: Bloody Glove)
- Analyze Bloody Glove. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer drinks absinthe)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Investigate Popotin Rouge Entrance. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Torn Article, Faded Ticket)
- Examine Torn Article. (Result: Popotin Rouge Review)
- Analyze Popotin Rouge Review. (09:00:00)
- Ask Eleonora Macaron why she was angry with the victim. (Prerequisite: Popotin Rouge Review analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Dressing Table; Profile updated: Eleonora has a cough and drinks absinthe)
- Investigate Dressing Table. (Prerequisite: Eleonora interrogated; Clues: Bauble of Victim, Mail Tray)
- Examine Bauble of Victim. (Result: Hairs)
- Examine Hairs. (Result: Pony Fur)
- Confront Rémi Roy about his threat to the victim. (Prerequisite: Pony Fur identified under microscope; Profile updated: Rémi has a cough)
- Examine Mail Tray. (Result: Strange Message)
- Analyze Strange Message. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer writes poetry)
- Examine Faded Ticket. (Result: Ticket Details; New Suspect: Grégoire Ewan)
- Ask Grégoire Ewan whether he knew the victim. (Prerequisite: Ticket Details unraveled)
- Go to Chapter 3. (1 star)
- Investigate Street Bench. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: CCTV Camera, Trash Can, Torn Poster)
- Examine CCTV Camera. (Result: Security Footage)
- Confront Ava de Paradis about her mysterious phone call. (Prerequisite: CCTV Camera unlocked; Profile updated: Ava drinks absinthe)
- Examine Trash Can. (Result: Typewriter)
- Ask Grégoire Ewan how his typewriter ended up in the trash. (Prerequisite: Typewriter found; Profiles updated: Grégoire has a cough, drinks absinthe and writes poetry, Eleonora writes poetry)
- Examine Torn Poster. (Result: Defaced Poster)
- Analyze Defaced Poster. (09:00:00)
- Interrogate Jacques Lelarge about defacing the poster. (Prerequisite: Defaced Poster analyzed; Profiles updated: Jacques has a cough, drinks absinthe and writes poetry, Rémi writes poetry)
- Investigate Tank Ladder. (All tasks above must be completed; Clues: Poetry Book, Cough Syrup)
- Examine Poetry Book. (Result: Silver Flakes)
- Analyze Silver Flakes. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears silver sequins)
- Examine Cough Syrup. (Result: Saliva)
- Analyze Saliva. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer is male)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Walk on the Wild Side (1/5). (No stars)
Walk on the Wild Side (1/5)
- Question Rémi Roy about animal smuggling. (Available after unlocking Walk on the Wild Side)
- Investigate Snake Tank. (Prerequisite: Rémi interrogated; Clue: Locked Safe)
- Examine Locked Safe. (Result: Ledgers)
- Analyze Ledgers. (06:00:00)
- Interrogate Jacques Lelarge about the ledgers. (Prerequisite: Ledgers analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Victim's Room. (Prerequisite: Jacques interrogated; Clue: Empty Crate)
- Examine Empty Crate. (Result: Shipping Label)
- See what Eleonora Macaron wants. (Available after unlocking Walk on the Wild Side; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Dressing Table. (Prerequisite: Eleonora interrogated; Clue: Vanity Case)
- Examine Vanity Case. (Result: Liquid Latex)
- Analyze Liquid Latex. (06:00:00)
- Surprise Cody James. (Prerequisite: Liquid Latex analyzed; Reward: Burlesque Outfit)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case name comes from the phrase "the show must go on". It is used in show business to convey that regardless of what happens, the show that has been planned still has to be staged for the waiting patrons.
- This is one of the cases in which the killer has to be interrogated once again during the Additional Investigation.
- This case is the only case in City of Romance in which the murder weapon is an animal (in this case, the murder weapon is a boa constrictor).
- Although High Commissioner Delacroix is the player's partner during the investigation, Carrie is the one who appears in the player's teammate selection screen when they investigate a crime scene in this case.
- The case has several references to 1934 American Pre-Code musical film Moulin Rouge and Baz Luhrmann's 2001 jukebox musical romantic drama film, Moulin Rouge!:
- The cabaret, Popotin Rouge, is a reference to famous Parisian cabaret Moulin Rouge.
- The show, Spectaculaire Spectaculaire, is a reference to the show featured in the 2001 motion picture, Spectacular Spectacular.
- The victim, Sabine Diamant, is a reference to the deuteragonist of the 2001 film, Satine, who is portrayed by Nicole Kidman.
- One of the suspects, Grégoire Ewan, is a parody of Christian, the protagonist of the 2001 film. His name is based off Christian's actor, Ewan McGregor.
- Part of the poster of the original film, featuring American actress Constance Bennett, can be seen in the "Popotin Rouge Entrance" and "Street Bench" crime scenes.
- A crystal skull is a clue in the "Snake Tank" crime scene, a potential reference to the Paris Skull, a crystal skull sold by French antiquarian Eugène Boban.
- In the "Victim's Room" crime scene, a bust of Medusa can be seen.
- In Chapter 2, a quote from The Merry Wives of Windsor is mentioned.
- The Rolington typewriter found in the “Street Corner” scene is a parody of the Remington typewriter.