Party Like It’s 1699 is a case featured in Criminal Case as the fourth case of City of Romance (Season 8) and the three-hundred fifty-sixth case overall. It takes place in the Fantasy district of Paris.
In the Versailles-themed party held by the d'Anjou château, High Commissioner Delacroix took Carrie and the player to meet his old flame, château owner Marguerite d'Anjou, in her bedroom. However, the team instead found her headless body. Carrie and the player then launched their investigation while High Commissioner Delacroix took the day off, mourning for Marguerite's death.
Mid-investigation, the team headed to the kitchen after hearing chef Amandine Brioche's screams, discovering that she had discovered the victim's head in a vegetable sack there. Later, the team had to contact Chief Delacroix to take his father, the High Commissioner, back to the station when he started drunkenly singing. The team then found enough evidence to arrest the victim's son, Louis d'Anjou, for the murder.
Louis explained that given that their family was getting poorer, he had the idea to convert their residence to a bed and breakfast so they could generate income. Marguerite was against this idea, however, as she wanted to preserve the purity of their home. Not wanting to give up his luxurious lifestyle, Louis decapitated his mother with a meat cleaver and placed the head in the kitchen to frame their chef. Judge Lebrun sentenced him to life in prison.
Post-trial, Hugo and the player went back to the château and found an article reporting that Eleonora Macaron attended the dress rehearsal for the Chior fashion show. Émile then hacked into the surveillance footage of Eleonora attending the show, and discovered that she was with one Charlie Jones, who Carrie confirmed to be her brother, Cody James. The player then accompanied Carrie in telling Eleonora about Charlie's identity and asking her to arrange a meeting between them. However, she told them that she did not have his contact details, and that he only accompanied her as one of her father's lackeys.
Meanwhile, Chief Delacroix and the player found a watch that the High Commissioner gave to Marguerite, giving it to him as something to remember her by. He then treated the two to a picnic in the château. After all the events, the team decided to attend the fashion show at the Grand Palais in order to find Eleonora and Cody.
- Marguerite d'Anjou (found beheaded in her bedroom)
- Meat Cleaver
- Louis d'Anjou
- The killer drinks Pompette champagne.
- The killer plays tennis.
- The killer takes Sexy Beast pills.
- The killer wears lace.
- The killer has stubble.
- Investigate Marguerite's Bedroom. (Clues: Jewelry Box, RSVP to Party, Victim's Body; Victim identified: Marguerite d'Anjou)
- Examine Jewelry Box. (Result: Locket)
- Examine Locket. (New Suspect: Louis d'Anjou)
- Inform Louis d'Anjou about his mother's murder. (Prerequisite: Louis d'Anjou identified)
- Examine RSVP to Party. (Result: E. Macaron; New Suspect: Eleonora Macaron)
- Talk to Eleonora Macaron about the murder. (Prerequisite: E. Macaron decoded; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Garden Party)
- Investigate Garden Party. (Prerequisite: Eleonora interrogated; Clues: Faded Passport, Croquembouche)
- Examine Faded Passport. (Result: Passport Owner; New Suspect: Prince Amadou)
- Find out what Prince Amadou is doing at the party. (Prerequisite: Passport Owner unraveled)
- Examine Croquembouche. (Result: Handkerchief)
- Analyze Handkerchief. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer plays tennis)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer drinks Pompette champagne)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Investigate Château Kitchen. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Sack of Vegetables, Broken Metal; New Suspect: Amandine Brioche)
- Examine Sack of Vegetables. (Result: Victim's Head)
- Autopsy Victim's Head. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer takes Sexy Beast pills; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Vintage Desk)
- Investigate Vintage Desk. (Prerequisite: Victim's Head autopsied; Clues: Locked Diary, Beheading Comic)
- Examine Locked Diary. (Result: Victim's Diary)
- Analyze Victim's Diary. (12:00:00)
- Ask Louis d'Anjou why the victim was angry with him. (Prerequisite: Victim's Diary analyzed; Profile updated: Louis drinks Pompette champagne and takes Sexy Beast pills)
- Examine Beheading Comic. (Result: Brown Particles)
- Examine Brown Particles. (Result: Mazundan Coffee)
- Get answers from Prince Amadou about the beheading comic. (Prerequisite: Mazundan Coffee identified under microscope; Profiles updated: Amadou plays tennis, Louis plays tennis)
- Examine Broken Metal. (Result: Sommelier Badge; New Suspect: Cedric Duchateau)
- Ask Cedric Duchateau about the murder. (Prerequisite: Sommelier Badge restored; Profile updated: Cedric drinks Pompette champagne and plays tennis)
- Talk to Amandine Brioche about the victim's head. (Prerequisite: Château Kitchen investigated; Profile updated: Amandine drinks Pompette champagne)
- Go to Chapter 3. (1 star)
- Investigate Party Table. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Camcorder, Broken Plate, Letter to Victim)
- Examine Camcorder. (Result: Unlocked Camcorder)
- Analyze Unlocked Camcorder. (09:00:00)
- Confront Amandine Brioche about her argument with the victim. (Prerequisite: Unlocked Camera analyzed; Profile updated: Amandine takes Sexy Beast pills)
- Examine Broken Plate. (Result: Commemorative Plate)
- Get answers from Eleonora about the unfriendly plate. (Prerequisite: Commemorative Plate restored; Profile updated: Eleonora drinks Pompette champagne, plays tennis and takes Sexy Beast pills)
- Examine Letter to Victim. (Result: Resignation Letter)
- Ask Cedric Duchateau why he wanted to quit his job. (Prerequisite: Resignation Letter unraveled; Profile updated: Cedric takes Sexy Beast pills)
- Investigate Kitchen Floor. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Crate of Wild Game, Sexy Beast Pills)
- Examine Crate of Wild Game. (Result: Meat Cleaver)
- Analyze Meat Cleaver. (09:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Meat Cleaver; Attribute: The killer wears lace)
- Examine Sexy Beast Pills. (Result: Brown Substance)
- Analyze Brown Substance. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer has stubble)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to An American Cop in Paris (4/5). (No stars)
An American Cop in Paris (4/5)
- See what the High Commissioner wants. (Available after unlocking An American Cop in Paris; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Marguerite's Bedroom. (Prerequisite: Jean-Philippe interrogated; Clue: Decorative Jar)
- Examine Decorative Jar. (Result: Watch)
- Analyze Watch. (09:00:00)
- Give Marguerite d'Anjou's watch to the High Commissioner. (Prerequisite: Watch analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Château Kitchen. (Prerequisite: Jean-Philippe interrogated; Clue: Picnic Basket)
- Examine Picnic Basket. (Result: Open Picnic Basket)
- Investigate Garden Party. (Available after unlocking An American Cop in Paris; Clue: Faded Newspaper)
- Examine Faded Newspaper. (Result: Newspaper Article)
- Analyze Newspaper Article. (06:00:00)
- Ask Carrie to identify her brother. (Prerequisite: Newspaper Article analyzed)
- Get answers from Eleonora Macaron about Carrie's brother. (Prerequisite: Carrie interrogated; Reward: Parisian Eye Roll)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case title is a parody of the idiom "party like it's 1999", originating from 1999, a song by American musician Prince, which means to party like there's no tomorrow.
- This is one of the two cases in City of Romance in which the victim and the killer are relatives.
- The French Revolution is mentioned several times during the case.
- In Chapters 2 & 3, the High Commissioner is seen singing a parody of Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?, by the British singer Peter Sarstedt.