No Leg to Stand On is a case featured in Criminal Case as the twenty-first case of Supernatural Investigations (Season 7) and the three-hundred forty-third case overall. It is the first case to take place in the East.
The team continued their search for Rathimael's human identity and the fifth key in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where Chief Arrow and the player were informed by Gwen that she had found a body at a boat dock near the Highsmith University. Gwen and the player then collected the body of university student and rowing team member Eric Prynce, stabbed in the stomach with his legs eaten off.
Mid-investigation, Luke asked for help dealing with Eric's roommate, Italian student Marcello Campiano, who had heard about the murder and was freaking out at the crime scene. They then later discovered that the university mascot Johann Zeit was in fact a two-hundred-year-old revenant after discovering his alive head locked inside a globe and helping him reunite his head with his body. Soon after, Felix told the team of a freak-out in the campus library about the murder, which Gwen and the player managed to calm down. They then incriminated marine biology student Muriel Cove for the murder.
Admitting to the murder, Muriel confessed that she was a mermaid, telling them that she was in love with Eric's girlfriend, sorority president Vanessa Sadler, after Muriel saw her while swimming by the dock. Muriel then sought the kraken's help in granting her wish to walk on land in order to confess her love to Vanessa, only to be rejected by her, nevertheless. Muriel then begged Eric to break up with Vanessa. However, Eric refused Muriel's beg, making her angry and kill Eric with a dagger. Muriel then fed Eric's legs to the kraken as a payment for helping her turn into a human. The team then turned Muriel over to the authorities after the latter confirmed that she would face the consequences as a human.
After the arrest, Gwen and the player questioned Johann about Rathimael, who advised them to consult his diary that had been lost on the university docks. Felix then told them that in several of Johann's entries in the years leading up to the millennium, he had mentioned someone called "The Pilgrim" and the powers they had, suggesting it was the same demon they were looking for. Johann then told them that he was able to confirm the Pilgrim's "powers" and told them that "the Pilgrim's map" could help them in their search. Johann's "The Pilgrim's Map" then suggested that the key to finding out Rathimael's human identity could be in upstate New York.
Meanwhile, the team also asked Muriel about the demons. Muriel then suggested that they ask the kraken herself as she was the oldest and wisest of all aquatic beings. Muriel then directed them to find a protective amulet in her bag that she left on the campus. Felix then confirmed the protective ability of the amulet, which (per him) was made from an ancient singing stone. With the amulet, Gwen and the player went to see the kraken, who confirmed that demons were arising again and that they had stolen her sextant from her. She also revealed that she was making a pilgrimage to Niagara Falls, the most haunted place on the earth where a supernatural ball was taking place. The kraken then suggested them to go to the falls if they wanted to seek knowledge of the demons, and also warned them against the dangers there.
After all the events, with Johann and the kraken's help, the team decided to head to Niagara Falls to find out more about the demons, as well as Rathimael's human identity.
- Eric Prynce (found stabbed and with his legs eaten on a dock)
- Muriel Cove
- The killer is left-handed.
- The killer eats Philly cheese steak sandwich.
- The killer reads Arthur Darkwood books.
- The killer wears silver jewelry.
- The killer has long hair.
- Investigate Rowing Dock. (Clues: Student ID, Torn Pieces, Victim's Body)
- Examine Student ID. (New Suspect: Muriel Cove)
- Ask Muriel Cove if she knew the victim. (Prerequisite: Muriel Cove identified; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Campus Park; Victim identified: Eric Prynce)
- Investigate Campus Park. (Prerequisite: Muriel interrogated; Clues: Victim's Cap, Gym Bag)
- Examine Victim's Cap. (Result: Cheesy Substance)
- Analyze Cheesy Substance. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer eats Philly cheese steak sandwich)
- Examine Gym Bag. (Result: Sorority Ring; New Suspect: Vanessa Sadler)
- Talk to Vanessa Sadler about the sorority ring. (Prerequisite: Sorority Ring found)
- Examine Torn Pieces. (Result: Foam Hand; New Suspect: Johann Zeit)
- Talk to Johann Zeit about the murder. (Prerequisite: Foam Hand restored)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer is left-handed)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Talk to Marcello Campiano about Eric's death. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Study Room)
- Investigate Study Room. (Prerequisite: Marcello interrogated; Clues: Rowing Race Poster, Globe)
- Examine Rowing Race Poster. (Result: Threatening Note)
- Analyze Threatening Note. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer reads Arthur Darkwood books; Profiles updated: Vanessa reads Arthur Darkwood books, Muriel reads Arthur Darkwood books; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Boats)
- Investigate Boats. (Prerequisite: Threatening Note analyzed; Clues: Locked Smartphone, Trash Can)
- Examine Locked Smartphone. (Result: Unlocked Smartphone)
- Analyze Unlocked Smartphone. (12:00:00)
- Ask Muriel Cove about her crush on the victim. (Prerequisite: Unlocked Smartphone analyzed; Profile updated: Muriel is left-handed and eats Philly cheese steak sandwich)
- Examine Trash Can. (Result: Torn Paper)
- Examine Torn Paper. (Result: Scholarly Article; New Suspect: Theresa Rosenthal)
- Question Theresa Rosenthal about her article on the kraken. (Prerequisite: Scholarly Article restored; Profile updated: Theresa is left-handed and eats Philly cheese steak sandwich)
- Examine Globe. (Result: Unlocked Globe)
- Reunite Johann Zeit's head with his body. (Prerequisite: Unlocked Globe deciphered)
- Go to Chapter 3. (1 star)
- Investigate Library Table. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Sheath, Locked Tablet, Oar Paddle)
- Examine Sheath. (Result: Fingerprints on Sheath)
- Analyze Fingerprints on Sheath. (09:00:00)
- Confront Theresa Rosenthal about handling the dagger sheath. (Prerequisite: Fingerprints on Sheath analyzed; Profiles updated: Theresa reads Arthur Darkwood books, Johann reads Arthur Darkwood books)
- Examine Locked Tablet. (Result: Friendnet Profile)
- Ask Vanessa Sadler about her argument with the victim. (Prerequisite: Friendnet Profile unlocked; Profile updated: Vanessa is left-handed and eats Philly cheese steak sandwich)
- Examine Oar Paddle. (Result: Crumbs)
- Examine Crumbs. (Result: Italian Biscotti)
- Confront Marcello Campiano about his threat to the victim. (Prerequisite: Italian Biscotti identified under microscope; Profile updated: Marcello eats Philly cheese steak sandwich)
- Investigate Sitting Area. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Interview with a Chupacabra, Bucket)
- Examine Interview with a Chupacabra. (Result: White Substance)
- Analyze White Substance. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears silver jewelry)
- Examine Bucket. (Result: Dagger)
- Analyze Dagger. (15:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Dagger; Attribute: The killer has long hair)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to The Keys to the Kingdom (1/5). (No stars)
The Keys to the Kingdom (1/5)
- See what Johann Zeit knows about Rathimael. (Available after unlocking The Keys to the Kingdom)
- Investigate Rowing Dock. (Prerequisite: Johann interrogated; Clue: Leather Notebook)
- Examine Leather Notebook. (Result: Antique Diary)
- Analyze Antique Diary. (09:00:00)
- Ask Johann Zeit about the Pilgrim. (Prerequisite: Antique Diary analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Study Room. (Prerequisite: Johann interrogated; Clue: Old Map)
- Examine Old Map. (Result: Marks on Map)
- Question Muriel Cove about demons. (Available after unlocking The Keys to the Kingdom; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Campus Park. (Prerequisite: Muriel interrogated; Clue: Muriel's Handbag)
- Examine Muriel's Handbag. (Result: Amulet)
- Analyze Amulet. (06:00:00)
- Consult the Kraken about demons. (Prerequisite: Amulet analyzed; Reward: Kraken Mask)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case title is a reference to "no leg to stand on", a phrase used to refer to a statement, claim or action someone makes that cannot be justified.
- This is one of the cases in which the killer has to be interrogated once again during the Additional Investigation.
- This case has many references to the 1989 American animated musical romantic fantasy film The Little Mermaid produced by Walt Disney, which was also based on the Danish fairy tale of the same name by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen:
- The killer, Muriel Cove, is a reference to Ariel, the protagonist of the film.
- The victim, Eric Prynce, is a reference to Prince Eric, a character in the film.
- Kraken is a reference to Ursula, the main antagonist of the film.
- Vanessa Sadler is a reference to Vanessa, a character of the film who was in fact Ursula in disguise.
- In Chapter 2, two Italian poets, Dante Alighieri and Virgil, are mentioned.
- Interview with the Chupacabra is a parody of Interview with the Vampire.
- In the "Library Table" crime scene, a bust of Nefertiti can be seen.
- In a clue from the "Sitting Area" crime scene, a fertilizer named "Pretty Grass" is a reference to Pretty Simple.
- Two references to The Conspiracy can be noticed:
- In Chapter 1, Vanessa mentions a sorority member named Ashley. This could be a reference to Ashley Howard, a suspect from Deadeye (Case #39 of The Conspiracy), given the fact that both Ashley and Vanessa are university students and sorority members.
- During The Keys to the Kingdom, when examing Muriel's handbag, several copies of The Book of Demon Fish can be seen.