- "Hope" redirects here. For the Grim Chapel young woman, see Hope Woodford.
|“||I was brought into this world to defeat the queen. And that's what I want to do, no matter the cost!||„|
Hope Newman (also known as "The Fifth Key") is a main character appearing in Season 7 of Criminal Case, where she serves as the Tech Expert of the Supernatural Hunters. In Hocus Pocus (Case #23 of Supernatural Investigations), she decided to leave the team before coming back in Death at a Funeral (Case #26 of Supernatural Investigations).
Hope has black eyes and chopped black hair. She wears a red plaid dress with a white collar over a black mesh undershirt. She sports red lipstick, a black choker, and a silver piercing through her left nostril.
In her demonic form, Hope has blue skin, matching wings, blood red eyes and two black horns sprouting out of her head.
Hope was raised and homeschooled by her guardian, Bob Nelson, until he was murdered by demons when she was 17, inspiring her to become a supernatural hunter. Generally uptight, Hope refers to her colleagues in an exceedingly formal manner. It is known that Hope shares an RV with Gwen, whom she often clashed with due to their extremely contrasting personalities.
Events of Criminal Case
After arresting Marigold Carson's killer, Hope updated Gwen and the player about the ghost possession murders. She revealed that she had found three other tarot card murders going back five years, prompting the team to suspect that they were dealing with a serial-killing ghost. Hope explained that the victims were all loved ones of the killers and that the killers were all successful in the natural resources sector. She then revealed that all three of the previous killers had committed suicide in prison, causing Gwen to worry about her girlfriend, Justine Bankston, who was one of the latest killers, the other being Jesse Adams.
After arresting Ruth Wu's killer, Hope and the player helped repair Santa Claus's GPS. After Hope asked Santa about the identity of her parents, he told her that he did not know who they were. He then reminded Hope to enjoy Christmas with those around her.
Later, Gwen and the player followed Hope to the town center. Gwen told Hope that she had gotten a Christmas present for her. Hope found the gift box and uncovered a guinea pig inside. She named the guinea pig "Scrooge" and joined the rest of the team at their Christmas party.
After arresting Agnes Leek's killer, Felix and the player found demon Rathimael's ring. Later, Felix informed the team that the ring had been stolen. After he revealed that the ring box had been left behind, Chief Arrow took a sample of flakes from the box. Per Priya, the flakes were wood shavings used as bedding for guinea pigs. Since Hope was the only one who owned a guinea pig in the team, Priya concluded that Hope was the thief. She then informed Chief Arrow that she had just seen Hope leaving her camper, prompting Chief Arrow and the player to stop her from running away. Chief Arrow aimed his gun at her, threatening to shoot her if she did not return the ring. Hope returned the ring and branded Chief Arrow a bully before quitting the team.
After discovering the demon identity of Theresa Rosenthal's killer, Luke and the player headed to Theresa's house for information on the baby serving as the fifth and final key needed to unlock the demon queen's cage. There, they found a picture of Rathimael under the guise of Bob Nelson and the baby. With the help of a program on Hope's computer, Ben discovered that the baby was Hope herself, serving as the fifth key and confirming that Rathimael was her guardian. However, the team discovered that the demons had Hope. Later, after traveling to the between-dimension, the team saw Reggie carrying an unconscious Hope and using her to unlock the cage.
After the cage was unlocked, the team managed to successfully rescue Hope, who had remained unconscious. According to demon rebel Arthur, Hope would recover with time and rest.
After arresting Bernie Silverman's killer, Ben informed Felix and the player that Hope's condition had deteriorated. Arthur suggested to him that Hope had been put into a magical coma after being used as a key and that she needed a magical cure containing holy water. With the help of resurrected businessman Larry Zarus, Felix and the player were able to revive Hope.
Hope told the player that she felt responsible for the demon queen's freedom, revealing that she had been scared when she had realized that Rathimael was her childhood guardian. When Felix asked about her kidnapping, she recalled walking down the street and suddenly blacking out. Drifting in and out of consciousness, she remembered seeing demons all around her, repeatedly talking about Smuggler's Cove Lighthouse.
At the end of the investigation, Hope and Chief Arrow reconciled and she returned to the team.
After arresting Roxanne Vega's killer, Gwen and the player found a note written in mysterious symbols. They dispatched the note to Felix. Upon showing the note to the team, Hope managed to make sense of the symbols as she had been taught the script by Rathimael. The note said "There is still hope", indicating that Hope was their only hope against the demons. After Hope and the player consulted with Ben about the message, Ben asked Hope for her notes from Rathimael's mentorship.
After arresting Arthur Darkwood's killer, Hope told Gwen and the player that she thought that Arthur had learned something about her role in taking down the demons before his death. Hope, Gwen and the player searched Arthur's cell and found his satchel. Inside, they learned that Arthur had discovered that Rathimael had used some of the queen's own life force to build her cage and the five keys. Since Hope was one of the keys, Arthur speculated that she was the only one with the power to bring her down. However, he did not figure out how Hope was supposed to do it.
Later, Felix discovered per a prophecy that the queen could only be defeated when "the traitor and the key become one". He informed Hope that she needed to take on Arthur's demon form in order to beat the queen. Despite knowing that she was risking her life, Hope agreed to the plan. After drinking water from the River Styx from a magical chalice, Hope took on Arthur's demon form.
Accompanied by the player, Hope confronted the demon queen. After immolating the queen's demon guard, Hope and the demon queen ascended into the sky and commenced battle. After the queen attacked Hope with lightning, Hope created an explosion, killing the demon queen and subsequently her faithful.
As the Tech Expert of the Supernatural Hunters, Hope has the responsibility of taking care of all the necessary digital/technical analyses, and to inform the team of such results after a certain amount of time or a speed-up process using Criminal Case Cash. Her task-wait rates vary depending on the difficulty of the task, but they all cost 1 Criminal Case Cash per 30 minutes.
Below is the list of analyses Hope performs throughout the course of the game:
Case #1: Blood Lust
- Unlocked Camera (06:00:00)
- Mina's Phone (06:00:00)
Case #2: One Bigfoot in the Grave
- Unchained Trap (12:00:00)
- Geoelectrical Device (09:00:00)
Case #3: The Curse of Black Ridge
- Restored Device (12:00:00)
- FBI Files (09:00:00)
Case #4: Hour of the Wolf
- Victim's Phone (12:00:00)
Case #5: Immortal Combat
- Key (06:00:00)
Case #6: Bad Vibes
- Note with Numbers (12:00:00)
- Time Capsule (09:00:00)
Case #7: Gut Out
- Message on Machine (12:00:00)
- Unlocked Laptop (09:00:00)
Case #8: Hashtag Murder
- Strange Device (03:00:00)
- Check (12:00:00)
- Phone (09:00:00)
Case #9: Mad World
- Mask Tag (12:00:00)
- Unlocked Camera (09:00:00)
- Schmidt's Password (09:00:00)
Case #10: The Ghost of Murders Past
- Unlocked Phone (12:00:00)
- Gag Order (09:00:00)
Case #11: A One-Wolf Open Slay
- Victim's Phone (12:00:00)
- Spy Cam (09:00:00)
- Santa's GPS (09:00:00)
Case #12: Dead Heat
- Unlocked Phone (09:00:00)
Case #13: Weirder Stuff
- SD Cards (09:00:00)
- Numbers (09:00:00)
Case #14: Winter Murderland
- Victim's Camera (09:00:00)
- Restraining Order (09:00:00)
- Planner (09:00:00)
Case #15: The Tree of Death
- Victim's Laptop (12:00:00)
Case #16: This American Death
- Unlocked Camera (12:00:00)
- Victim's Phone. (09:00:00)
Case #17: Don't Die over Spilled Milk
- CD (12:00:00)
- Unlocked Security Camera (09:00:00)
- Confidential Stuff (09:00:00)
Case #18: Over the Edge
- Victim's Messages (12:00:00)
- Piece of Metal (09:00:00)
Case #19: A Murder of Crows
- Tablet (12:00:00)
- Cat (09:00:00)
Case #20: Scry for Help
- Belinda's Diary (09:00:00)
Case #21: No Leg to Stand On
- Unlocked Phone (12:00:00)
Case #22: Niagara Fallen
- Supernatural Device (03:00:00)
- FBI Files (06:00:00)
Case #23: Hocus Pocus
- Unlocked iGran (12:00:00)
- Computer (09:00:00)
- Hotel Booking (06:00:00)
Case #27: To the Lighthouse
- Unlocked CCTV (12:00:00)
- Fingerprints (09:00:00)
- Demon's Message (06:00:00)
Case #28: The Hunted Hunter
- Unlocked Camera (12:00:00)
- Unlocked Phone (09:00:00)
Case #29: Divided We Fall
- Glowing Stone (12:00:00)
Case #30: To Hell and Back
- Arthur's Satchel (09:00:00)
The player may choose Hope to join the investigation of each crime scene (in any case in Supernatural Investigations) and provide hint bonuses. She is available as a 5-hint partner. (This feature is only available in the mobile variant of Criminal Case)
- Blood Lust (Case #1 of Supernatural Investigations)
- One Bigfoot in the Grave (Case #2 of Supernatural Investigations)
- The Curse of Black Ridge (Case #3 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Hour of the Wolf (Case #4 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Immortal Combat (Case #5 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Bad Vibes (Case #6 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Gut Out (Case #7 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Hashtag Murder (Case #8 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Mad World (Case #9 of Supernatural Investigations)
- The Ghost of Murders Past (Case #10 of Supernatural Investigations)
- A One-Wolf Open Slay (Case #11 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Dead Heat (Case #12 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Weirder Stuff (Case #13 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Winter Murderland (Case #14 of Supernatural Investigations)
- The Tree of Death (Case #15 of Supernatural Investigations)
- This American Death (Case #16 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Don't Die over Spilled Milk (Case #17 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Over the Edge (Case #18 of Supernatural Investigations)
- A Murder of Crows (Case #19 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Scry for Help (Case #20 of Supernatural Investigations)
- No Leg to Stand On (Case #21 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Niagara Fallen (Case #22 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Hocus Pocus (Case #23 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Scarab to Death (Case #24 of Supernatural Investigations; mentioned)
- The Third Degree (Case #25 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Death at a Funeral (Case #26 of Supernatural Investigations)
- To the Lighthouse (Case #27 of Supernatural Investigations)
- The Hunted Hunter (Case #28 of Supernatural Investigations)
- Divided We Fall (Case #29 of Supernatural Investigations)
- To Hell and Back (Case #30 of Supernatural Investigations)