Death by Design is a case featured in Criminal Case as the fifth case of City of Romance (Season 8) and the three-hundred fifty-seventh case overall. It is the final one to take place in the Fantasy district of Paris.
After attending the Chior fashion show in the Grand Palais in hopes of finding Carrie's brother Cody, she, Hugo, and the player went to the La Vie en Rose péniche to attend the afterparty. Upon arriving however, Chior CEO Simone Lemaitre informed them that designer Charles Pilsnerfeld had been killed. Hugo and the player then collected his drowned body to commence the investigation.
Mid-investigation, the team saved a tipsy High Commissioner Delacroix from drowning in the Seine. Later, stylist Jérémy Belhomme told the team that Charles' cat, Chouquette, had gone missing, but the team was not able to find her at the Grand Palais. The team then found enough evidence to incriminate Simone in the murder.
Simone admitted that after collaborating with her on the company for so long, Charles promised to give her total control over Chior in the event of his death. However, when Charles saw Simone change the logo to include her initials, he changed his mind, saying he would revise his will to leave the company to Chouquette. She then drowned him before he could do so. During the trial, Judge Lebrun informed her that the will had already been revised before Charles died before sentencing Simone to 35 years in prison.
Post-trial, Carrie told the player that although she did not see her brother during the fashion show, she received a message from an unknown sender reading "la vie en rose." The two then went to the péniche and found a message from Cody, a Statue of Liberty snow globe which High Commissioner Delacroix interpreted to mean that their meetup point would be the Statue of Liberty model at Pont de Grenelle. Upon going there, the James siblings reunited, with Cody saying that he deliberately sent her the postcard because he needed her help in getting him and Eleonora Macaron (with whom he was romantically engaged) out of Antoine Macaron's gang.
Meanwhile, Hugo and the player found Chouquette, who was in her cage in the péniche all along but had gone unnoticed by Jérémy. After all the events, the team resolved to first ensure that Cody making contact with Carrie after so long was not part of Antoine's schemes. They then prepared to go to the Popotin Rouge in Montmartre, where an animal smuggling ring was based according to an anonymous tip they had received.
- Charles Pilsnerfeld (found drowned in a nightclub swimming pool)
- Simone Lemaitre
Wait up, partner! This section is under construction.
- The killer eats escargots.
- The killer listens to Voyou Fou.
- The killer lives on the left bank.
- The killer has a Chior brooch.
- The killer wears cardinal red.
- Investigate Chior After-Party. (Clues: Broken CD, Victim's Body; New Suspect: Simone Lemaitre; Victim identified: Charles Pilsnerfeld)
- Examine Broken CD. (Result: Party Mix CD)
- Analyze Party Mix CD. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer listens to Voyou Fou)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Drowned; Attribute: The killer eats escargots)
- Ask Simone Lemaitre about discovering the victim. (Prerequisite: Chior After-Party investigated; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Péniche Entrance)
- Investigate Péniche Entrance. (Prerequisite: Simone interrogated; Clues: Napkin, Victim's Bag)
- Examine Napkin. (Result: Crumbs)
- Examine Crumbs. (Result: Lapurée Éclairs; New Suspect: Noémie Leprince)
- Talk to Noémie Leprince about being at the crime scene. (Prerequisite: Lapurée Éclairs identified under microscope)
- Examine Victim's Bag. (Result: Jar of Buttons)
- Examine Jar of Buttons. (Result: Note from JB; New Suspect: Jérémy Belhomme)
- See what Jérémy Belhomme knows about the murder. (Prerequisite: Note from JB unraveled)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Investigate Chior Fashion Show. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Chior Gift Bag, Anti-Chior Poster, Broken Mirror)
- Examine Chior Gift Bag. (Result: Magazine)
- Analyze Magazine. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer lives on the left bank; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Seine Quai)
- Investigate Seine Quai. (Prerequisite: Magazine analyzed; Clues: Victim's Phone, Faded Invitation)
- Examine Victim's Phone. (Result: Unlocked Phone)
- Analyze Unlocked Phone. (12:00:00)
- Ask Jérémy Belhomme about the victim's phone calls. (Prerequisite: Victim's Phone analyzed; Profile updated: Jérémy lives on the left bank)
- Examine Faded Invitation. (Result: Howard's Invitation; New Suspect: Howard Stacy)
- See what Howard Stacy knows about the murder. (Prerequisite: Howard's Invitation unraveled; Profile updated: Howard lives on the left bank)
- Examine Anti-Chior Poster. (New Suspect: Gianni Domani)
- Interrogate Gianni Domani about his anti-Chior poster. (Prerequisite: Gianni Domani identified; Profile updated: Gianni eats escargots)
- Examine Broken Mirror. (Result: Backstage Mirror)
- Ask Noémie Leprince about her threat to the victim. (Prerequisite: Backstage Mirror restored; Profile updated: Noémie listens to Voyou Fou)
- Go to Chapter 3. (1 star)
- Investigate Catwalk. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Model Péniche, Metallic Pieces, Water Wings [Tag on Water Wings])
- Examine Model Péniche. (Result: Open Model Péniche)
- Analyze Open Model Péniche. (09:00:00)
- Ask Gianni Domani about using the same party venue as the victim. (Prerequisite: Open Model Péniche analyzed; Profile updated: Gianni listens to Voyou Fou and lives on the left bank)
- Examine Metallic Pieces. (Result: Chior Stamp)
- Question Simone Lemaitre about the revised Chior logo. (Prerequisite: Chior Stamp restored; Profile updated: Simone eats escargots, listens to Voyou Fou and lives on the left bank)
- Examine Tag on Water Wings. (Result: Note from Howard)
- Confront Howard Stacy about the water wings. (Prerequisite: Note from Howard unraveled; Profile updated: Howard eats escargots and listens to Voyou Fou)
- Investigate Swimming Pool. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Chouquette's Food Bowl, Crate of Pool Equipment)
- Examine Chouquette's Food Bowl. (Result: Colored Bits)
- Analyze Colored Bits. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has a Chior brooch)
- Examine Crate of Pool Equipment. (Result: Damp Towel)
- Analyze Damp Towel. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears cardinal red)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to An American Cop in Paris (5/5). (No stars)
An American Cop in Paris (5/5)
- Interrogate Simone Lemaitre about Chouquette's whereabouts. (Available after unlocking An American Cop in Paris)
- Investigate Chior Fashion Show. (Prerequisite: Simone interrogated; Clue: Cat Food Baggie)
- Examine Cat Food Baggie. (Result: Cat Food Sample)
- Analyze Cat Food Sample. (09:00:00)
- Confront Noémie Leprince about the sleeping pills. (Prerequisite: Cat Food Sample analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Chior After-Party. (Prerequisite: Noémie interrogated; Clue: Cat Carrier)
- Examine Cat Carrier. (Result: Chouquette Free)
- Return Chouquette to Jérémy Belhomme. (Prerequisite: Cat Carrier unlocked; Reward: Chior Brooch)
- See what Carrie needs. (Available after unlocking An American Cop in Paris)
- Investigate Péniche Entrance. (Prerequisite: Carrie interrogated; Clue: Snow Globe)
- Examine Snow Globe. (Result: Mysterious Message)
- Analyze Mysterious Message. (06:00:00)
- Meet with Cody James. (Prerequisite: Mysterious Message analyzed; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Move on to a new crime (in Attraction)! (1 star)
- This is one of the cases in which the killer has to be interrogated once again during the Additional Investigation.
- In the "Chior Fashion Show" crime scene, some clues include:
- a melting clock, a reference to Spanish surrealist artist Salvador Dalí's painting The Persistence of Memory.
- the three wise monkeys, a Japanese pictorial maxim, embodying the proverbial principle "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".
- a poster of Gianni wearing the Salvador Dalí mask referencing Spanish heist crime drama television series Money Heist. This reference also can be seen in the cover of the third chapter.
- a bust of Julius Caesar.
- a soup can, a reference to Campbell's Soup Cans, a painting of Andy Warhol.
- In the "Catwalk" crime scene, there is a snowglobe embossed with the letters "PS", a nod to Pretty Simple.
- This case and Dressed to Be Killed are thus far the only cases in City of Romance in which the murder weapon is an action.
- A handful of fictional brands, products, and people mentioned in the case are parodies of real-life brands, products or people:
- In An American Cop in Paris, a famous quote from American romantic drama film Casablanca and the American Civil War are mentioned.