Death at a Funeral is a case featured in Criminal Case as the twenty-sixth case of Supernatural Investigations (Season 7) and the three-hundred forty-eighth case overall. It is the first case to take place in the South.
After the team's encounter with the demon queen, the team were able to successfully retrieve Hope. While she was unconscious, Arthur Darkwood advised them that her condition would improve within the day. Chief Arrow told the team that they were going to South Carolina in order to exhume his late wife Lily's body because the demon queen looked like Lily. Upon arriving at the cemetery, Luke, Ben, and the player chanced upon the burial of businessman Larry Zarus, who suddenly appeared out of the coffin, alive. Shortly after however, his business partner and one of the funeral guests, Bernie Silverman, collapsed dead, apparently poisoned.
During the investigation, Larry told the team that it was a resurrection talisman he ordered online that brought him back to life. Later, Larry began getting mobbed at the church by people begging him to perform miracles on them after seeing him coming back to life. Soon after, Chief Arrow claimed he had seen his wife, but the woman then turned out to be a stranger who only looked like her from behind, leaving him in hysterics. The team then found enough evidence to arrest Bernie's daughter, Vicki Silverman, for the murder.
Pressured by her father's expectations of her, Vicki decided to kill both Bernie and Larry in order to take over their company and prove that she was worth more than a receptionist as her father had made her out to be. She then cut the brakes on her father's car before, causing the accident that supposedly killed Larry. With Bernie surviving the crash however, Vicki then convinced their neighbor, Marilyn Bullock, to bake a cherry pie for the funeral. She then slipped poison into the pie in order to finish the job. The team then handed her over to the authorities.
Post-arrest, Ben told Felix and the player that Hope's condition had worsened, and that Arthur had advised him that Hope was put into a magical coma after being used as a key to the queen's cage, and that they needed holy water to cure her. After finding a holy water dispenser at the church, Felix figured out that someone who had cheated death needed to administer the holy water to Hope. They then approached Larry, who agreed to perform the ritual after the team found his resurrection talisman for him. With the ritual as a success, Hope finally woke up and told the team that she had run away in Massachusetts when she saw Rathimael's ring because she realized that her guardian, Bob Nelson, was a demon, thus putting her in a crisis. After relaying her guilt, she told the team that during her time with the demons, she heard that "Smuggler's Cove Lighthouse" was a demon portal.
Meanwhile, Chief Arrow asked Luke and the player to exhume Lily's grave for him as he did not feel emotionally prepared enough to do so himself. The team did so and found that her casket was empty, only containing a crowbar. Per Priya's analysis of the dirt on the crowbar, she deduced that whoever used the crowbar to steal Lily's body did so one week after Lily's death. The team then informed Chief Arrow of their findings, leaving the Chief to wonder why Lily's body was chosen for the demon queen.
After all the events, Chief Arrow and Hope reconciled and Hope came back to the team. With Felix deducing the Smuggler's Cove Lighthouse's location, the team prepared to set off for Georgia.
- Bernie Silverman (found dead at his friend's funeral)
- Vicki Silverman
- The killer has hay fever.
- The killer knows Latin.
- The killer has read Animal Graveyard.
- The killer wears a red rose.
- The killer wears glasses.
- Investigate Graveyard. (Clues: Torn Fabric, Victim's Body; New Suspect: Larry Zarus)
- Examine Torn Fabric. (Result: White Glove; New Suspect: Beauregard Lomax)
- Ask Beauregard Lomax whether he was a pallbearer at the funeral. (Prerequisite: White Glove restored)
- Ask Larry Zarus how he came back to life. (Prerequisite: Graveyard investigated; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Church Pews; Victim identified: Bernie Silverman)
- Investigate Church Pews. (Prerequisite: Larry interrogated; Clues: Framed Photo, Handbag, Flowers with Note)
- Examine Framed Photo. (New Suspect: Jonathan Zarus)
- Ask Jonathan Zarus if he knew the victim. (Prerequisite: Jonathan Zarus identified)
- Examine Handbag. (Result: Name Bracelet)
- Examine Name Bracelet. (New Suspect: Vicki Silverman)
- Inform Vicki Silverman of Bernie's death. (Prerequisite: Silverman decoded)
- Examine Flowers with Note. (Result: Mysterious Note)
- Analyze Mysterious Note. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer knows Latin)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Poison; Attribute: The killer has hay fever)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Investigate Porch Reception. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Pile of Cushions, Broken Pieces)
- Examine Pile of Cushions. (Result: Men's Boxers)
- Analyze Men's Boxers. (12:00:00)
- Interrogate Larry Zarus about his boxers being at the victim's house. (Prerequisite: Men's Boxers analyzed; Profiles updated: Larry knows Latin, Jonathan knows Latin)
- Investigate Graveyard again. (Prerequisite: Larry interrogated; Clues: Threatening Drawing, Locked Container)
- Examine Threatening Drawing. (Result: White Liquid)
- Examine White Liquid. (Result: Embalming Fluid)
- Confront Beauregard Lomax about the threatening drawing of the victim. (Prerequisite: Embalming Fluid identified under microscope; Profile updated: Beauregard has hay fever and knows Latin)
- Examine Locked Container. (Result: Box of Pills)
- Analyze Box of Pills. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer has read Animal Graveyard; Profile updated: Beauregard has read Animal Graveyard)
- Examine Broken Pieces. (Result: Strange Sculpture; New Suspect: Marilyn Bullock)
- Ask Marilyn Bullock what she knew about the victim. (Prerequisite: Strange Sculpture restored; Profile updated: Marilyn has hay fever)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Investigate Porch Lounge. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Pie Recipe, Victim's Phone, Pieces of Metal)
- Examine Pie Recipe. (Result: Orange Powder)
- Analyze Orange Powder. (09:00:00)
- Confront Marilyn Bullock about baking the cherry pie. (Prerequisite: Orange Powder analyzed; Profile updated; Marilyn has read Animal Graveyard)
- Examine Victim's Phone. (Result: Buzzer Post)
- Ask Jonathan Zarus about his argument with the victim. (Prerequisite: Buzzer Post unlocked; Profile updated: Jonathan has hay fever and has read Animal Graveyard)
- Examine Pieces of Metal. (Result: Valedictorian Medal)
- Ask Vicki Silverman how her medal ended up broken. (Prerequisite: Valedictorian Medal restored; Profile updated: Vicki has hay fever, knows Latin and has read Animal Graveyard)
- Investigate Church Altar. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Antifreeze Bottle, Church Equipment)
- Examine Antifreeze Bottle. (Result: White Substance)
- Analyze White Substance. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears glasses)
- Examine Church Equipment. (Result: Animal Graveyard Book)
- Analyze Animal Graveyard Book. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears a red rose)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Beyond the Veil (1/5). (No stars)
Beyond the Veil (1/5)
- Ask Ben Shepherd about Hope's condition. (Available after unlocking Beyond the Veil; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Church Pews. (Prerequisite: Ben interrogated; Clue: Holy Water Dispenser)
- Examine Holy Water Dispenser. (Result: Holy Water)
- Analyze Holy Water. (09:00:00)
- Ask Larry Zarus for help saving Hope. (Prerequisite: Holy Water analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Graveyard. (Prerequisite: Larry interrogated; Clue: Broken Talisman)
- Examine Broken Talisman. (Result: Resurrection Talisman)
- Talk to Hope Newman about her ordeal. (Prerequisite: Resurrection Talisman restored; Reward: Demon Necklace)
- See what Chief Arrow wants. (Available after unlocking Beyond the Veil 1; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Lily's Grave)
- Investigate Lily's Grave. (Prerequisite: Chief Arrow interrogated; Clue: Crowbar)
- Examine Crowbar. (Result: Dirt)
- Analyze Dirt. (06:00:00)
- Give Chief Arrow an update on the situation. (Prerequisite: Dirt analyzed)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case title is a reference to Death at a Funeral, a 2007 British black comedy film, as well as its American remake.
- This is the only case in Supernatural Investigations where all of the suspects are humans without any supernatural powers.
- This is one of the cases in which the player has to investigate the same crime scene twice during the main leg.
- This is the one of only two cases in the game which feature five crime scenes during the main leg, with the sixth being unlocked during the Additional Investigation, along with Time's Up.
- This is one of the six cases in Supernatural Investigations in which the victim and the killer are relatives.
- Animal Graveyard is a parody of horror novel Pet Sematary.
- The book's author, Keevan Bing, is a parody of Stephen King.
- Various car brands are referenced in Chapter 3: